Saudi Arabia 9/11 lawsuit is moving forward after a federal judge rejected Saudi Arabia’s latest attempt to dismiss the case. Families of 9/11 victims will now continue pursuing claims that Saudi officials provided support to the hijackers.
The ruling, issued Thursday by Judge George Daniels in Manhattan, marks another turning point in the long-running legal battle. The case, which has been described as complex and lengthy, seeks to hold Saudi Arabia responsible for its alleged connections to the attacks. Lawyers for the victims called the decision a step toward accountability and truth.
Previously, the lawsuit faced setbacks, including a dismissal in 2015. However, that ruling was overturned by a federal appeals court. Momentum increased in 2016 when the U.S. Congress passed the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act. This law gave U.S. courts authority to hear lawsuits against foreign governments accused of aiding terrorist attacks on American soil. It also enabled victims’ families to pursue damages directly.
The allegations against Saudi Arabia focus on two hijackers, Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, who later joined the attack on the Pentagon. Before 9/11, both men lived in Los Angeles, where Saudi national Omar al-Bayoumi helped them secure housing. Attorneys for the families claim Bayoumi had links to Saudi intelligence, citing recently declassified reports.
The FBI also investigated whether another Saudi official, Fahad al-Thumairy, provided support. While the 9/11 Commission found no evidence of his involvement, families argue that unanswered questions remain. Judge Daniels emphasized that plaintiffs presented reasonable evidence suggesting Bayoumi and Thumairy may have acted with Saudi backing.
Evidence cited in court included a notepad with a plane drawing found in Bayoumi’s home. Lawyers for Saudi Arabia argued that the notes were harmless and unrelated to the attacks. However, the judge said those explanations lacked credibility. He ruled that claims of coincidence did not outweigh documented evidence.
Attorneys representing victims welcomed the decision. They said it ensures that the Saudi Arabia 9/11 lawsuit can move forward toward trial. Law firms involved emphasized that the ruling opens the door for a deeper investigation of Saudi ties.
This outcome allows the families to continue their decades-long pursuit of justice. It also keeps international attention on Saudi Arabia’s potential role in the September 11 attacks. Ultimately, the ruling ensures the Saudi Arabia 9/11 lawsuit remains a key chapter in the search for accountability.